Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Book and Heart shall never part

When I was watching the movie, Sutter's question came to mind, "is there really such a thing as a child?" You know, after watching the movie I would have to say I don't know. Little Goody two shoes did many grown up things, teaching other childeren how to read, starting a college, getting married; she was a little adult. But during the movie, I watched the kids in the audience, there was a child wearing a wolf mask doing random scarings, children running up and down the isles, basically doing what children do best. I can't buy into the idea that literacy leads to knowledge and knowledge steals the idea of being a child. Why do we call a baby lion a cub, why not just a little adult lion? From the moment they are born they are learning. The only reason I brought up the point of the lion is in the movie they stated that we were reading nature and vise versa. We are one in the same. I guess another question I have is WHY IS THE IDEA OF CHILD IMPORTANT? I almost feelt that we read to much into this. Instead, I like the idea presented by the movie that Reading is a form of playing for a child. A fun way to attain knowledge. WHy can't the discussion just end there? Maybe it is human nature to try and find ansewers that aren't needed. Humans suffer from a need to always know when we should instead just be. We suffer from misplaced concreteness.

No comments: